Favorite Quote



I'm not saying that everything is survivable, just that everything except the last thing is.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

BFA

I have not posted in a long while, and let me tell you why:


Once upon a time there was a girl named Amanda Anne Dayton, and she was a very busy person.  She was working on two Directing II shows as well as preparing for a very stressful audition that will determine the rest of her experience at college.  This audition was for the BFA program (bachelor of fine arts in case you were wondering...) and if she doesn't get into this program she is going to be devastated.


So let me catch you up on my life:


Like I said I'm working on two Directing II shows.  I'm in a piece called the Kiss of Death written by Dory Peacock which is being directed by Nate Marble, and then I'm also in a piece called A Simple Difference of Tastes written by Karina Bolton (soon to be Karina LeBaron) which is being directed by Marco Vega.  I'm loving both of the scripts and am so excited to perform them.  Nate's piece is about James (who's being played by Josh Durfey), a successful musician who's been on tour for a couple months who is finally coming home to his wife Kayla (who's me!)  The plot is basically just Josh and I trying to have sex, but unfortunately people keep showing up at our apartment and Josh's character can't get them to leave.  It ends with a huge group of people in our living room arguing while I tell my husband that I'm pregnant.  


Marco's piece is about a girl named Kami (who I am playing), who has just recently dumped her long term boyfriend (more like almost fiance boyfriend, who is being played by Nate Allred) and is trying to get an acting job but keeps getting shut down everywhere she goes.  It's a series of 4 scenes interspersed with her pathetic vlog posts.  Vlog post, meeting with a Director about a commercial, pigging out in her apartment when her brother comes over, meeting with another Director who says he wanted to get to know her but ends up being her ex-boyfriend Eric offering her a job, vlog post, brother coming over to her apartment to give her a puppy (which was originally supposed to be a cat but we couldn't find a cat to work with so we're using Marco's roommates puppy instead.)  Pretty much the play was supposed to end with me becoming a sort of cat-lady, but now it's a puppy-lady.  It's a good script, full of awkwardness and quirkiness that is just too hard to explain in this post.


So while I've been working on these two shows, I had also been preparing for my BFA audition, which was yesterday.  I did a monologue called Dating:


I'm a wonderful person. . . I know that sounds vain, but I am!  I really truly am!  I'm neat, I'm clean, I hardly ever pitch a fit or raise my voice at people or animals, I read all the best selling books, and I. . . I am coming on to strong here.  I'm scaring you, I can see that. . . We all have our faults, right?  We all do!  Maybe you beat your cat or run over turtles on the highway, or maybe it's not even a spiteful thing.  Maybe you just always buy the wrong laundry detergent when you go to the grocery store and you could just kick yourself for not being able to remember and. . . Anyway, I have trouble remembering people's names, it's not like I do it on purpose, it's just my thing, my one great flaw!  And people, people come down on you for that. . . I think you're a wonderful person.  And I know this is our third date, and who knows, maybe we'll spend the rest of our lives together. . . or not. . . But before we go any further, I have something to confess. . . I can't remember your name.


I absolutely love that monologue!  All the ellipsis spaces are filled with awkward laughs and long pauses.  It's a great monologue to perform.


Then I sang I Know Things Now from Into the Woods and A Way Back To Then from [Title of Show].  I felt so good about my audition!  I walked out of the room and just thought "Man, I just kicked some BFA butt!"


Today is the dance audition for BFA.  I'm not nervous for it like I was for the singing audition though.  I just feel more comfortable in dancing auditions then when I have to sing (which doesn't make any sense because I'm way better at singing then I am at dancing.)  So after the dance audition today at 4:30 I get to wait till next Monday before they post their decisions.  I'm already freaking out!  It's too long of a wait!  Unfortunately, I am not capable of forcing them to speed up the choosing process so I just have to keep my fingers crossed until Monday.


And that's pretty much my life as of late.

No comments:

Post a Comment