Favorite Quote



I'm not saying that everything is survivable, just that everything except the last thing is.

Friday, June 14, 2013

A Letter

Dear Old Man on a Horse,

You probably don't remember me, but I just want to take the time to thank you.  About 4 years ago I was having a really bad day, I can't remember why, but what I remember is that it was bad enough that I drove up into the mountains alone so I could cry where no one would see.  Unfortunately I didn't take into consideration people traveling on horseback which is why you stumbled upon me.  You knew nothing about me, but as soon as you saw a teenage girl crying on the hood of her car you got off your horse and attempted to comfort me.

Without saying anything you approached me and put your hand on my shoulder.  You kept your hand there until I looked up into you face and you smiled at me.  You told me you wouldn't leave until you saw a smile on my 'pretty' face.  Through my tears I managed to smile at you and when I did you laughed.  It was such a cute old man laugh that I couldn't help smiling more.  You then picked up two stones off the ground and showed me one.  It was jagged and rough and you proceeded to tell me that life can be hard sometimes but if you keep smiling through the pain and anger things will get better.

You smiled at me one last time, dropped the rough stone, and handed me a very smooth rock.  
"You'll be alright." 
You waited for me to smile again, and then you turned around, got back on your horse, and rode away.

I've never forgotten the kindness you showed me that day.  And I still have that smooth stone you gave me.

Only adorable old men can get away with cheesy sayings that go along with stones picked up off the ground.  So thank you for taking the time to make a crying girl smile.  I wish you the best in life and know that you will be greatly rewarded in the afterlife for your kindness to a complete stranger.

Sincerely Amanda Dayton.

No comments:

Post a Comment